Friday, 13 December 2013

Painting, Painting, Painting!

Well, I have been flat out like a lizard drinking, painting, painting, painting!
The BA 64s are now complete and are shown below undercoated.   I used Dulux Grey Metal Primer as the undercoat.   I never have problems with this particular brand, it coats well and dries fairly quickly.


The model I have kept for myself was airbrushed with Vallejo Model Air Camouflage Green.   This paint is made especially for use with an airbrush and has given very good results.   It says it does not need thinning but I added a few drops of thinner anyway.   Camouflage Green was chosen to represent the Russian Green which is no longer available apparently.



The Tyres were painted with Humbrol M67 which gives a good representation of used rubber.
I just have to scout around now for some "Patriotic"decals and numbers in Cyrillic to add to the sides and turret.

Also finished is the first of the Schneider CA1s.   This particular model was painted in the "Flames"scheme.   Vallejo Uniform Green and Humbrol M70 was used for the camouflage stripes.



The tracks were painted with a base coat of Vallejo Beasty Brown and Black, then dry brushed with Beasty Brown, then Leather Brown and finally Gunmetal.   If the Gunmetal was too obvious in places, another drybushing of Beasty Brown was then applied.

The last Schneider, the 4 colour scheme model should be finished shortly, just needs varnishing with Satin Acrylic.   I hope to post photos shortly.




7 comments:

  1. You must get through prodigious quantities of paint! Whatever will you do with 12 BA-64s?

    ReplyDelete
  2. World Domination, what else? Seriously though, 11 are going to new owners and Im keeping one for myself. As for paint, the cans of undercoat go a fair way.' Though I did use one and a half bottles of Model Air for 5 of the BA 64s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're ever in the UK, bring a suitcase full of tanks!

      Delete
    2. Will do Tim. As long as you realise they are not showerproof !!!

      Delete
    3. That's what varnish is for!

      Delete
  3. " I used Dulux Grey Metal Primer as the undercoat. " Brilliant I would never have thought of that and there looks to be no loss of detail ? Do you thin it for airbrushing ? or do you brush paint it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Paul. I use Dulux Quick Dry Grey Metal Primer. It comes in a 310g aerosol can. No mess, no fuss!

      Delete